Re: Installing Hylafax --for Frantz and Canas

*sigh* talk about flooding a list!!

  Benjamin> Dear Paul Franz and Carlos Canas:

Ok, and Dear rest of the list members as well . . . . *sheesh*

  Benjamin> I tried to contact you directly (by hitting Reply) but my message
was
  Benjamin> returned to me.

Carlos Canas <carlos@cancansystems.com>
"Paul A. Franz, P.E." <paul@eucleides.com>

try harder next time please.

  Benjamin> First, I wish to thank both Carlos Canas and you for your gracious
help
  Benjamin> with Hylafax. Thanks to the advice offered by both of you, I am now
  Benjamin> close to being able to use Hylafax.

I've yet to find this discussion anywhere . . .

  Benjamin> I downloaded all the Red Hat files Paul recommended, then followed
  Benjamin> Carlos' instructions on how to use faxsetup.

  Benjamin> Here is what I have installed:

  Benjamin> [sher@adsl-77-233-178 sher]$ rpm -qa |grep ghostscript
  Benjamin> ghostscript-Both-5.50-9mdk
  Benjamin> ghostscript-X-5.50-9mdk
  Benjamin> ghostscript-fonts-6.0-2
  Benjamin> ghostscript-6.01-1
  Benjamin> [sher@adsl-77-233-178 sher]$

RedHat-6.2 comes with ghostscript-5.5, which would have been fine.

  Benjamin> [sher@adsl-77-233-178 sher]$ rpm -qa |grep hylafax
  Benjamin> hylafax-4.1beta2-3rh6
  Benjamin> [sher@adsl-77-233-178 sher]$

*grrrrrr* you should not have this.

  Benjamin> [sher@adsl-77-233-178 sher]$ rpm -q libtiff
  Benjamin> libtiff-3.5.5-2
  Benjamin> [sher@adsl-77-233-178 sher]$ rpm -q libtiff-devel
  Benjamin> libtiff-devel-3.5.5-2
  Benjamin> [sher@adsl-77-233-178 sher]$

This is fine, now that you are using my test RPM. It would not have been fine
with the previous RPM (which you should have been using).

  Benjamin> [sher@adsl-77-233-178 sher]$ rpm -q mgetty-sendfax
  Benjamin> mgetty-sendfax-1.1.21-6
  Benjamin> [sher@adsl-77-233-178 sher]$
  Benjamin> mgetty-sendfax-1.1.21-6

THIS IS WRONG!!!! Somewhere along the line you made the same horrible decision
that Paul made . . . you installed my HylaFAX RPM with --force or --nodeps.
You smashed mgetty+sendfax all to hell (it uses much of the same directory
structure and some of the same binary filenames) but left enough of it around
to confuse the issue totally (you'll end trying to submit faxes to HylaFAX by
executing mgetty+sendfax's 'sendfax' program!!). You need to do the following:

rpm -e mgetty+sendfax
rpm -Uvh --force hylafax-4.1beta2-3rh6.i386.rpm

then fix up your HylaFAX config files (you may need to run faxsetup again).

  Benjamin> [sher@adsl-77-233-178 sher]$ rpm -q mawk
  Benjamin> mawk-1.2.2-3mdk
  Benjamin> [sher@adsl-77-233-178 sher]$

  Benjamin> With Hylafax finally installed correctly, I proceeded to Faxsetup.

  Benjamin> 1) I got the /bin/egetty missing message

Harmless.

  Benjamin> 2) I got a message telling me that the ghostscript 5.50 directory
is
  Benjamin> missing.
[snip]
  Benjamin> Everything seemed all right except for the ghostscript 5.50
"error". I
  Benjamin> now proceeded to test Hylafax:

Not sure what error message you got here . . .

  Benjamin> Should I run faxmodem for each configured modem [yes]?
  Benjamin> /usr/sbin/faxmodem ttyS1

  Benjamin> Done verifying system setup.
  Benjamin> [root@adsl-77-233-178 sher]# sendfax -d phoneno /etc/hosts
  Benjamin> /usr/sbin/textfmt: No font metric information found for
"Courier-Bold".
  Benjamin> Usage: /usr/sbin/textfmt [-1] [-2] [-B] [-c] [-D] [-f fontname] [-F
  Benjamin> fontdir(s)]
  Benjamin> [-m N] [-o #] [-p #] [-r] [-U] [-Ml=#,r=#,t=#,b=#] [-V #] files...

  +> out.ps

  Benjamin> Default options: -f Courier -1 -p 11bp -o 0
  Benjamin> Error converting data; command was "/usr/sbin/textfmt -B -f
  Benjamin> Courier-Bold       -Ml=0.4in -p 11 -s default >/tmp//sndfaxfLGfRp
  Benjamin> </etc/hosts"
  Benjamin> [root@adsl-77-233-178 sher]#

  Benjamin> This is as far as I got. Am I almost there? What does that error
above
  Benjamin> mean?

You should downgrade to the ghostscript that came with your mandrake. DO THIS
BEFORE INSTALLING THE HYLAFAX RPM!!! The ghostscript people changed the
directory that fonts are kept in . .. without recompiling the RPM it will
always be looking for gs fonts in the wrong place. Whoever told you to upgrade
ghostscript gave you bad advice. It took me ages to get hylafax and
ghostscript behaving on Paul's machine . . . there's no reason you should
repeat this silliness.

  Benjamin> Please remember that I am only interested in using Hylafax as a
client
  Benjamin> to send and receive faxes. Secondly, my system is an AMD K6-2 400,
which
  Benjamin> is usually translated to mean a 586, yet the setup program talks
about a
  Benjamin> 686 installation. What does this mean, please? Can my system
handle it?

Your system can handle it just fine.

  Benjamin> All my thanks again to both of you and to several others who wrote
in
  Benjamin> but whose advice, for one reason or another, was not quite
appropriate.

Hope this helps.

-Darren