From: Lee Howard <faxguy@server.deanox.com>
To: regexp <regexp@mail.com>, flexfax@sgi.com
Sent: May 25, 2000 3:41:12 PM GMT
Subject: Re: flexfax: fax stops halfway while receiving

Eesh... can't help you with the specific problem, but I *can* say that
there have been numerous improvements and bug fixes with HylaFAX, and you
should use something newer (i.e. use 4.1beta2).  Also, I can say that the
3Com/USR modems (in particular Courier) haven't been the most robust of
modems to use for faxing... although I don't use one and couldn't tell you
if that's a valid interpretation or not.

Lee Howard

At 08:17 AM 5/25/00 -0400, regexp wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm having some problems with a new installation of HylaFAX.
>
>Upon installation with all the defaults suggested by faxaddmodem, the
modem would answer a fax call and go through the handshaking, then reach
the "begin page" state and just stop. The remote (sending) fax machine will
scan the entire page but at the end it will report "transmission error,
please try again". The modem then stays on hook and I have to manually
disconnect the call (usally by hitting the voice/reset button in front).
The remote machine is a Xerox but I've tried with other fax machines and
received the same result.

>Previously, 8-byte tiff files were generated in the receive queue after I
manually hung up the modem. I then read in the mailing list that later
versions of tiff (after 3.4) might cause this problem, so I downgraded to
3.4 and recompiled. So far, there have been no 8-byte tiff files but the
same problem with the fax "stopping" after the "begin page" state still
occurs.

>The last 3 lines of the logfile follow below:
>May 25 19:06:56.11: [10880]: RECV: begin page
>May 25 19:06:56.11: [10880]: RECV: send trigger 022
>May 25 19:06:56.11: [10880]: <-- data [1]
>
>I am running HylaFAX 4.0pl2, with tiff 3.4 (not certain how to confirm the
version of tiff I'm using)
>The system is running FreeBSD-3.4, generic kernel.
>The modem is a USR Courier, bought a few days ago. I cannot conveniently
retrieve the exact firmware date or revision, but if someone will post the
easiest way to get it I will try. (I have to reboot the system to stop
faxgetty, and it's a production system running other things.)