Re: FAQ: Modems

At 09:33 AM 5/13/00 +0200, Peter Stamfest wrote:

>How about internal modems to be used for faxing under linux? (minus
>win-modems)

I'm using a Best Data 14.4 internal ISA modem.  It's been happy with
HylaFAX for over a month now.  I always have suffered from a lot of line
noise, though.  (That's regardless of the modem because I've tried several
different ones to remedy the problem.)

By the way, I was able to correctly configure my first PCI modem this week
in linux.  It was the PCI non-Winmodem made by 3Com, the model number is
3CP5610, and is obviously more expensive than the Winmodem ($90 vs. $50).
I've tried a number of Diamond SupraMax and Lucent modems before with no
luck.  I didn't use this with HylaFAX beyond the setup which went fine.

I have used 3Com modems (both internal and external) with linux several
times with no problems, and I have used them for faxing on Windows machines
with no problem (but not linux yet).

Lee Howard