make and VPATH processing

After my last message I read this on the documentation:

Under (at least) Solaris 2.3 the standard make does VPATH processing
incorrectly for files passed to the mkdepend script (the last file in the
list is not converted to a pathname relative to the source directory); this
causes lots of msgs that can be safely ignored.

Is there a way to "fix" this so that the VPATH processing gets handled
correctly?

Lee Howard