Re: Design for a portable Java hylafax clients: i want your opinions, please!

Bernd Proissl wrote:

> Hello to all hylafax users.
>
> I am currently developing a java hylfax client, there are some topics i
> am thinking about, maybe you can give me your opinions:
>
> 1. is java 2 widely availabe on your (client) platforms?
>    or is it supposed to become availbe in the near future?

We're running Win95 and typically don't have Java 2 (I only have 1.1
because I installed a demo of an app that needed it), and I'd prefer not
to install it just for one app.

> 2. What is your prefered procedure for sending a fax?
>
>    a1. redmon: capture the printout of an application on the client side
>        and let the hylafax client process it: e.g. ask user for fax.nr.
>        and the hand it to the hylafax server directly.
>
>        advantage: faster than a2
>        disadvantage: - firewall must be opened for ports use by hfaxd
>                      - if you want access for remote users you must open
> hfaxd ports
>                        to the public.
>
>    a2: same as a1, but client will send an eMail to some dedicated process
> on
>        the server
>
>        advantage: - no firewall problem if eMail is allowed
>                   - remote users can send faxes as if they where at the
> office
>        disadvantage: slower than a1
>
>    b. printfax/repsond: capture the printout on the server side, make a
> "callback"
>       to the client to get fax.nr. etc.
>
>       advantage: protocoll between client server can be easily adopted by
> other
>                  developers
>       disadvantage: - another port must be opened for client server
> communications

My comments come from the point of view of someone who only worries
about Win95 clients...

I prefer b. currently, but it's probably just because there's something
with Delphi source (respond) out there that I can modify (and am
currently doing so).  No print drivers to have to write.

Not sure what a2. would do.

I can see a lot of advantage to an open-source a1.-type client.

But:

(1) Can you do a print monitor or driver in pure Java?

(2) Someone apparently is already working on or has one, in Java(?)

(3) Java's pretty bulky, relatively inefficient (correct me if I'm
wrong)

What I'd truly like to see is something written in some more
close-to-the-metal language, like C++ or Delphi.  Delphi would be best,
if you *could* do a print monitor in it.  You'd have to get the DDK and
try to figure out how to translate its C-based instructions into Delphi
terms.

But doubtless you hate Pascal.  ;-)

Another idea for you:  I'd see added utility in interfacing with or
easily adding the option to interface with Outlook's address book.
That's one thing I'm tacking on to Respond.  Sorry if this goes against
the grain, but people like to run it.  At least until "ILOVEYOU" hits
it.  :-)

Good luck.