RE: Design for a portable Java hylafax clients: i want your opinions, please!

Dmitry

what features do you miss in WHFC??
i am very curios!

> Again, it is not so complex. Look into sendfax's sources: it submits jobs
> via hfaxd protocol (sendfax/sendfax.* util/SendFaxClient.*). I also think
> that you may ask WHFC author for help/example sources.
meanwhile (after doing the printfax/respond job) i allready had a look at
the hfaxd protocoll: My client can allready do some job control (didn't i
tell? e.g.
resend, get doc file for viewing, etc) with hfaxd protocol. I am using the
communication class from Susefax with some minor modifications. i just used
sendfax/respond to get a quick start with my own app, i see that this does
not make sense to use this for a hylafax client.

> I hope you will change your mind and concentrate on (a1)
> development :-) Believe me, there is no need in (b) implementation.
I do not have to change my mind currently. I just wanted to know if there
are some
reasons to do it in another way than a1.

> >   c.  redirect your application printout to a file on the client side
> >       (or maybe on the server side). the hylafax client then
> has to monitor
> >       the location for the file to appear and then start faxing.
>
> I don't understand what you mean. What is the difference between (a1)
> and (c)? You are going to implement port monitor functionality yourself?

in c do no not need a monitor if your app can create an output file by
itself
(e.g. menu like "file/save as PS...")
or, if the app does not have this capabillity, the admin can do the
redirection
in the os. e.g. under windows (in system control) you can create a new port
and "connect"
it to a file in the filesystem. (on win95 goto to properties of a certain
printer, click on
details, add port, other, local port, and enter the name of a file as the
name of a port)
no need to implement a port monitor.

> >       advantage:    - no printer port is needed on the client
>
> ?? IMHO in Windows any printer driver has an assotiated printer port. You
> cannot change this. And why?
you can change the port. see above.

> >                     - no admin priviliges needed if your app
> can print to PS file
>
> Which admin privileges are needed for (a1)?
i did not do it yet, but is it possible to install redmon without admin
priviliges on NT?