USR Sportster support and other questions

Hi all.  It's been about six months since I've used hylafax, and I thought
I'd investigate to see if there's been any changes with the support for
the USR sportster 28.8 external modem?

I had it working relatively well in Class 1, but it would occasionally
hang, and never drop carrier.

Can you suggest an inexpensive (yet reliable) alternative?  I think even
reliability is more important than cost.

Also, I recall there being a web interface to receive and view the
incoming faxes.  Is that still under development?  Where can I find it?
Has WHFC ever been open sourced?  Is that still under development?  I've
lost track of that as well...

Thanks,
Dave Wreski