Distinctive Ring

I have a Multitech ZDX working well with Hylafax 4.1 beta in Linux Mandrake 7.0

To use distinctive ring, the Hylafax man pages say:
RingFax: RINGA
RingData: RINGB
(but thats it.  no other help is provided)

Now, if the line rings with "RING" then technically neither should pick up.
But the fax does.  I checked it in Minicom and when the phone rings it says
"RING"  So I dont think the RingFax parameter is not working correctly.

My questions are:
1.  how can I see what hylafax sees (for logging purposes).  I look in the /log
dir but it doesnt tell me engouh info.
2.  does anyone have distinctive ring working that would care to share some
insight?

thanks a bunch
-matt