RE: Q: How HylaFax Handles Re-Queing & Fax Status?

afaik: yes
you have to open a telnet connection to port 4559 to communicate with hfaxd
(the client communication process of hxlafax)
try sendfax -vv -n -d telnumber file
to have a first idea how the protocoll works
man hfad shoul give you the commands
you can try it interactively with telnet first.
requeue cannot be done directly, i duplicate an existing job to requeue it.
jobs can be killed automtically after a certain amout of time (there is bug
in 4.0pl12
which display large killtimes (>24h hours) falsely, look under patches or
use 4.1beta2)

>  - How versatile is the receipt/confirmation mechanism of HylaFax?
>    I'd like to be able to have a script poll the system to send
>    e-mail notifications regarding the success/failure of fax
>    messages.
there is a script beeing called to send confirmation emails to the client.
it is call notify(?)
client can control notification (man faxsend(?))

>  - How does HylaFax log faxes (db, unique identifiers, etc) so
>    I can write code to interact with it.
ascii-file
xferlog in 4.0pl12 (xferfaxlog nin 4.1beta2, only namechange)

> The problem we've been having with our NT fax system is that we
> can't really track faxes well.  We have to "fire-and-forget",
> but if something goes wrong, we don't have an easy to know and/or
> fix it.  Because of our international dialing, at times we have
> lots of faxes going awry.
should be possible with hylafax.

take care in selecting the correct modem, only some brands work
flawlessly. for me this is elsa microlink 56k basic, for others
it is multitech. you sgould probably not use usr robotics.
watch out that some problems ony arise with certain fax machines.
(do a search fpr "RTN" or "multiple page"

Bernd