Re: incoming faxes devided by dialed number

Hi David!

Thanks for your answer, to which I have a few more questions.

> > the hylafax-modem and hylafax would receive that fax. The called number=20
> > will most of the time be transmitted in the headline of the first (and=20
> > mostly on the following as well) page. This headline is being
> transmitted=20
>
>There is no provision in the protocol for sending the destination address.
>What I think you are calling the headline, and what Hylafax calls the
>tag line, is transmitted as image data in phase C, not as ASCII in
>phase B.

Well thank you for this information, which is very helpful to know. As far
as I see, the way I wanted this to work will not work then.

I'm sorry, I have problems in understandingthe next phrase. As far as I
undestand you, the tag-line is nothing I can use for my purposes. But if I
understand the following phrase right, you say that the sending fax sends
the phone-number (fax-number, fax-id, whatever we call that) of the
receiving fax in ASCII-format in phase "B" of the fax-protocol, right? So
this is what we could use to determine the correct recipient, right?
Some additional questions if the above assumtions were right:
Is this information available for HylaFax? If I was to alter the code of
HylaFax that would mean, I'd just had to find out where HylaFax gets this
"number" and then write it into a file. Thats it. Later I could use that
file from lets say a perl-script to send the imcoming faxes to the
appropriate recipients.
I'll be honest: I do not know enough about the fax-protocol. Can you tell
me where to find out details about this? Maybe you've got an URL.

>In fact, the protocol has provision for sending the destination machine's
>idea of its own identity and this is available before the image data
>is sent, so it is theoretically possible for a sending machine to use
>that, rather than the dialled digits, in the tag line!

Help will be appreciated. If I get this working, it's really a great
feature! Imagine: a personal fax-number for anyone, just based on HylaFax !

regards,
Torsten