RE: halyfax, certain fax machines, several modems and transmission errors

Dmitry

thank you for your answer!

..
> I am afraid the bug is in Hylafax itself, but still haven't know where...
this is what i think also. Unfortunately i have now knowlegde about the
fax protocoll, this is just from my experience and what i have read on this
list.
(i think there is some problem in the class 1 driver of hylafax?)

> > the problems can be reproduced with at least one fax machine.
> >
> > is anybody out there who wants to help me in diagnosing (and
> solving?) these
> > problems?
>
> Yes, I have similar problems with Zyxel 1496 in Class 2.0 mode. I
> also will made
> some effort to investigate them. First, if Hylafax gets "ERROR"
> from modem in
> Class 2.0 mode, it always interprets it as RTN. This is not quite correct:
> DTE shoud issue AT+FPS? command to see what's happened according
> to the following
> table:
>
> Value  T.30  Result  Description
>        label Code
> --------------------------------
> 1      MCF   OK       Page good.
> 2      RTN   ERROR    Page bad; retrain requested.
> 3      RTP   OK       Page good; retrain requested.
> 4      PIP   OK       Page good; remote request for procedure
> interrupt accepted.
> 5      PIN   ERROR    Page bad; retrain requested; remote request for
>                       procedure interrupt accepted.
>
> I will made a patch to process that.
if i can help you in doing some testing, please let me know!

> Second, I am going to install a Class 2.0 commercial fax application
> (Delrina Winfax?) for a test drive and see if it fails with the
> identically
> configured  modem and the same destination fax machine.
i read on this list that commercial software often uses class 1, no matter
what
you configure. unfortunately i do not remember where. maybe search for
"winfax"
in the archives?

i have access to Winfax Version 8/9. Do you know software which can monitor
the
serial line? would this data be of any help for you?

> Hope to hear from you soon,
> Dmitry
Hope to hear from you soon,
Bernd