RE: comments about hylafax suse faq

> Hello,
Hello!

> > - step 7.B: you have to edit hosts.hfaxd (or hosts) if you
> >   want to sent faxes from another machine via the machine on which
> >   the hylafax server runs (as far as i known your story you run
> everything
> >   on one single computer)
> 	I run everything off a laptop.  I had someone contact me about
> this.  Are you referring to a LAN setup?  The person who contacted me, is
> thinking about writing a HylaFax LAN HOW-TO for SuSE
> users.
yes, i refer to a LAN-setup.

>  > - step 8.B: i use sendfax -n -d xx /etc/hosts for testing.
> >   /etc/hosts is just a simple ascii text file (every other
> textfile would
> > work)
> >   i think this way you can eliminate problems that arrise from
> converting
> > false PS-code
> >   to TIFF
> 	Good tip.  I did not know.  I don't know what a "converting false
> PS-code" is, but apparantly this could happen, and the poor guy thinks
> HylaFax is misconfigured.  Correct?
> 	Can a regular user shoot shoot of the /var/spool/fax/etc/hosts.hfaxd
> file?  No permissions problems arise?
"false PS-code" should mean if your PS-file is corrupt for any reason (e.g.
your
driver is buggy or does produce a PS-file which ghostscript cannot handle;
ghostscript
does the conversion from PS to pixel format required for faxing)

host ord hosts.hfaxd is generally not available for everyone to read as it
contains
security related data.

maybe better to let the user create a short file in his/her
home directory (user must have write permission):

cd
echo testfax >file.txt
sendfax -n -d xx file.txt

this file should have only a size of not more than one page. Multi page
faxes
may produce errors with a certain modem/fax machine combination. Single page
faxes
do not produce these certain errors (for me).

Bernd