Re: What files are needed for a client only installation?

from the quill of Nico Kadel-Garcia <raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu> on
scroll <Pine.GSU.4.21.0002230747410.23561-100000@earhook>

> Hmm. I see why you might like this approach: I personally detest
> it.

:-)  Ain't that what makes the world interesting though.

> No one installs the server without also requiring the client
> software,

I do/did.  My server does not have the client junk on it.

> and in this case there is no use for merely the "shared"
> stuff.

But it's not a case of "shared" stuff, it's "server" stuff.

> A client-base and server-add-on setup would make more sense, IMHO.

We'll see.  :-)

> Ahh. There are also some patches stashed in
> http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax.patches that may not have made it
> into
> the CVS. Some of them are SunOS patches, others are more general.

~sigh~  Why is this?  Why don't they get put into CVS if they are
good/needed?  Maybe the push is on the BETA release so the
"current/stable" is languishing.  That would be nothing new.  I
personally don't mind running BETA but I wanted to contribute my RPM
back to Mandrake's Contrib, and they prefer to not use BETA releases.

> I *need* to expand on it: I was separating the documentation into
> those about the HylaFAX server, and those about the HylaFAX client.
> In particular, the man1/hylafax.1 manual page is specifically about
> the HylaFAX client, so I moved it to man1/hylafax-client.1. And
> the man4/hylafax.4f manual page was about the server, so it moved
> to man4/hylafax-server.4f.

That looks like it is in one of the patches you mention above.

> It overall looks pretty solid.

Thanx.  :-)

> I would change one thing from the start:
> the setup in /etc/rc.d/init.d requires only the correct use of the
> "chkconfig" command, you don't have to install the links by hand.

Yeah, I know.  :-)  That's actually the hylafax install that does that.
That should be fixed, ideally.

> And what is with this bz2 compression of the manual pages?

Mandrake bzip2's them.  They have actually started an initiative to move
things like man page compression and stripping of binaries etc. into a
script to be called from RPM to hopefully vendor neutralize spec files.
It is up to each vendor to customize their script to do what they want
with regard to compression, stripping, and anything else.

> We should avoid requiring another compression algorithm: while bz2
> is very good, gzip is much more universally used right now.

The "spec-helper" method explained above should do this.

> > /var/spool/fax/FIFO
>
> FIFO is unnecessary. It should be created by the faxq or hfaxd on the
> fly.

Again, the make install must have made one.  I can remove it from the
%files list, but I am kinda thinking that if make install thinks is the
right thing to make one, it should probably be carried through and rpm
should create one.

> The overall work looks pretty solid. Maybe we can get off our duffs
> and
> pull it together for a solid 4.2 release.

That would be good.  :-)

The resulting RPMs for (Mandrake) linux can be found on Mandrake's
Contrib if anyone is interested in seeing it.

(http://rpmfind.net/linux/MandrakeCooker/contrib/RPMS/hylafax-{common,client,server}-4.0pl2.rjc11-1mdk.i586.rpm)

If you find something you don't like, let me know.  :-)

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell                              InterLinx Support Services, Inc.
North Vancouver, B.C.                                             604 983 UNIX