Re: What files are needed for a client only installation?

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> from the quill of Nico Kadel-Garcia <raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu> on
> scroll <Pine.GSU.4.21.0002220926030.15142-100000@earhook>
> >
> > Fair enough. Do you want to have the base && client || server style> > installation that ssh uses?
>
> Actually I opted for common, client and server so that you can have a
> clientless installation if you like.  You first load common and then you
> load client and/or server after that.
>
> At home here I have a server only install and a client only install.  It
> works well.  :-)

Hmm. I see why you might like this approach: I personally detest
it. No one installs the server without also requiring the client
software, and in this case there is no use for merely the "shared"
stuff. A client-base and server-add-on setup would make more sense, IMHO.

> > And do you want to go from the latest CVS
> > installation, or set up a v4.1beta3, or use the latest patches needed
> > for the latest gcc to install on various systems added by hand?
>
> I actually used the rjc11 tag in CVS as my base.  There are some patches
> on top of that that I found in the RPM that was on the flexfax site
> after I removed what was already in rjc11.

Ahh. There are also some patches stashed in
http://cirl.meei.harvard.edu/hylafax.patches that may not have made it into
the CVS. Some of them are SunOS patches, others are more general.

> > The CVS version has some manual page changes to separate the
> > documentation
> > into hylafax-server and hylafax-client setups.
>
> Oh?  Please do expand on that.

I *need* to expand on it: I was separating the documentation into
those about the HylaFAX server, and those about the HylaFAX client.
In particular, the man1/hylafax.1 manual page is specifically about
the HylaFAX client, so I moved it to man1/hylafax-client.1. And
the man4/hylafax.4f manual page was about the server, so it moved
to man4/hylafax-server.4f.

> > Let's approach this after we work out how to split it up.
>
> OK, well you know my split, and it's working here, although only lightly
> tested.  Here is the file split that I have currently:

It overall looks pretty solid. I would change one thing from the start:
the setup in /etc/rc.d/init.d requires only the correct use of the
"chkconfig" command, you don't have to install the links by hand.

And what is with this bz2 compression of the manual pages?
We should avoid requiring another compression algorithm: while bz2
is very good, gzip is much more universally used right now.

> /var/spool/fax/FIFO

FIFO is unnecessary. It should be created by the faxq or hfaxd on the
fly.

The overall work looks pretty solid. Maybe we can get off our duffs and
pull it together for a solid 4.2 release.

			Nico Kadel-Garcia
			(Recently employed elsewhere)
			nkadel@bellatlantic.net