Re: Solution: /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/2.95.../../../sparc-sun-solaris2.7/include/assert.h

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, James Lee wrote:

> Update to my previous message, 04/11/1999.
> Re HylaFAX Problem:
> make: *** No rule to make target
> `/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/2.95.../../../sparc-sun-solaris2.7/include/assert.h',
> needed by `faxcover.o'.  Stop.
>

> Sorry about this but I whistled out the previous solution quickly
> before dashing off on holiday and further I'm no sed expert.  The first
> version worked as far was needed and some, but now I would like to offer
> some changes.

And it worked so *nice*....

> Thank you Nico Kadel-Garcia for your words.  I am happy if this is of
> any use.  I trust that you (Nico) to be able to incorporated this
> update in a release.

I'll see what I can do. The alternative of simply not reparsing those
!@#$ long filenames in order to simplify them actually works fine in
most cases.

> 1.  There are a number of simplification changes.  These are really
> only cosmetic/pedantic, the previous works, but as this will
> (hopefully!) be copied many times I'll offer the changes.

And it's appreciated.

> There are a few file names that can be resolved, but will still fail my
> sed, eg ``ABCD/..'' should be ``.'' and ``ABCD/../'' will disappear.
> It's fixable, but does it have to be perfect?  To answer that I would
> really need to know from where do these contorted file names come, but
> this is a game, isn't it?

Hmm. This is not necessarily correct. "ABCD/.." is actually not
equivalent to "" in systems where ABCD is a symbolic link. But in that
case, the original description as ABCD/.. was usually a mistake
anyway.

The contorted filenames come from the "gcc -M" option, and that
behavior has been changing somewhat in the last few releases, which
created the !@#$ problem.

			Nico Kadel-Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary