Hayes 14.4 Accura modem question

I am using 8 Hayes 14.4 Accura external modems on my fax server.  We have
had great success with these modems and they seem to work very well
considering how old they are.  We routinely send 1400 faxes out at once over
these modems with some up to 20 pages in length.

The only problem I am having, is with receiving faxes.  Any fax under 10
pages will not have any trouble.  If I send a 20 page fax, the fax will
consistently fail between 13 and 16 pages.  I have tried from 5 different
fax machines with the same result.  The error message that the fax machine
prints out is that the remote machine hung up unexpedicatly.

What can I try in order to fix this?  I don't mind buying another type of
modem, it is just that these modems are working flawlessly in every other
way, I would like to try to fix this little problem instead of possibly
starting over with more problems with a new modem.

Greg