Re: Challenges with HylaFAX - new installation (first time)

On Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Kevin wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I have installed HlyaFAX on a Sun Ultra 1 that has a MAGMA HS serial
> card and runs Solaris 2.6 (fully patched). The modem is a Multi-Tech
> modem. The system does receive fax's OK.
>
> My challenges:
>
> 1. There is a cron job to run the faxqclean process each hour as stated
> in the man page. In the /var/adm/message file I receive the following
> message:
>
> "Nov  2 20:00:01 hawkeye FaxQCleaner[1160]: The fax server must run with
> real uid root"

Hmm. Check the cron job and who is running it: it should be run by the
root user cron jobs, not "uucp" or "fax"

> Not sure why this is happening. Is there a listing of all the file
> permission sthat should be set for HylaFAX?

Not a good one.

> 2. I have tried to telnet to the host using;
>
>      # telnet 127.0.0.1 4559
>      Trying 127.0.0.1...
>      telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
>      #

> Not sure why this is happening.

*HMMM*. Do you have hfaxd and faxq running? Did you run faxsetup and
start up the daemons, and set up your system to start them at boot time?
Is your $FAXDIR/etc/hosts.hfaxd file (or $FAXDIR/etc/hosts on older releases)
configured correctly, ownership uucp.uucp, permissions 600?

> Processes that are running on the system that I think are related to
> HylaFAX are (using "ps -All"):
>  8 S     5  1794     1  0  49 20 6095f610    261 613629fe ?        0:00
> hfaxd
> 8 S     5  1792     1  0  40 20 6095cd90    241 61362b66 ?        0:00
> faxq

Check your "hosts.hfaxd" file. Make sure you are running a recent release.

			Nico Kadel-Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary
			raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu