Re: Auto answer can not be setup

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Ertan Kucukoglu wrote:

> Thank you for your help. And others who read my question. I find it
> before your answer, but thank you indeed.
>
> I have no idea why it does not work with links. Anyway, now my modem
> answers automatically.

It *DOES* work with links. But you have to be completely consistent about the
use of a single name, or the lock files for faxgetty will be in
/var/lock/LCK.modem, the name from inittab, and the configuration file that
you generated for it wil be in /var/spool/fax/config.ttyS0, the name from
running faxaddmodem, and they won't talk to each other for a whole slew
of reasons.

In fact, /dev/modem is the standard for Linux, and is usually a symbolic link
to the real device. Then *EVERYTHING* uses /dev/modem, and the appropriate
getty's and lock files.