From: Nico Kadel-Garcia [mailto:raoul@cirl.meei.harvard.edu]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 1999 4:47 PM
To: Thomas Nilsen
Cc: hylaFAX (E-mail)
Subject: Re: flexfax: HylaFax & Redhat Linux 6.0

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Thomas Nilsen wrote:

> I have just started having a look at Hylafax 4.0pl2 on a Redhat 6.0 Linux
> box. However, some libraries are not included with the Redhat distribution
> and I am having difficulties finding one of them elsewhere. The library in
> question is:
>
> libjpeg.so.6
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction of an ftp server which holds
this
> set?

There is a new 4.1beta1 release out compiled for RedHat 6.0. You might
grab that instead, or be prepared to install the JPEG libraries from
	ftp://rufus.w3.org/linux/redhat/redhat-6.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/

Check the contents of the libjpeg stuff there, and be prepared to
over-ride the 4.0pl2 dependencies if the RedHat 6.0 library is
more recent.

> A second question would be if anyone has accomplished to integrate Hylafax
> together with MS Exchange servers and Outlook clients. I am then thinking
> specially of conversion of MS Word documents to FAX files.

N-O-O-O-O-O!!!!! MS Exchange is not a mail system, it is a workgroup
server with an SMTP mail server taped to it like a muffler dangling
from a car, bouncing off the road, leaking wildly and making terrible
noises every time it hits a bump. For reliable, documented, secure
print/file service, use Samba on a UNIX box instead.

If you are really stuck with Exchange and Outlook, you still have
issues.  Trying to turn the weird, proprietary format of Word's
constantly changing standards to a public one like TIFF or even
Postscript is not just a moving target: it's a target that
deliberately ducks everytime Micro$oft discovers someone has taken
aim.

Instead, use a print client such as WHFC so that the users can print
their Word documents directly to the fax spool. This relies on the
Micro$oft drivers to produce the Postscript: if they can't do that
with all their in-house support for Word, the whole system is broken
anyway.

If you absolutely must transform the stuff on a UNIX system, consider
there are pointers on the net to "catdoc" and "mswordview". The latter
is at:
	http://www.gnu.org/~caolan/docs/MSWordView.html

			Nico Kadel-Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL