modem not shown in list...

Hi
I run a redhat 5.2
got hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5  nice and done for my linux distribution...
followed instruction (it seems very easy to me reading doc)
I ran faxaddmodem which seems to work fine.(it's a rockwell chipset modem)
Then I run faxmodem ttySx (and no faxgetty since is a sending only
enviroment)

I get no answer (is this already wird?)

if I run fax stat no good news
>[root@linux /root]# faxstat
>HylaFAX scheduler on linux.torva.net: Running
>[root@linux /root]#

so no modem in the modem pool no way to send out faxes...
I couldn't either find anything in logs to help me to start to find out...
any ideas? at least a starting point... somewhere to look.

One more thing ... this is going to be the enxt problem:
since in my country the dial tone is not continous we always have to turn
carrier detection adding an x3 to the att command somewhere... couldn't
find where yet (Did not look too hard since since it doesn't even try to
compose)
thanks
gianluca

         \\|//
         (. .)
|    Linux Rules!!    |

"Computers are like air conditioners - they stop working properly when
you open Windows"