Re: ELSA MikroLink[tm] Office or US-Robotics & Hylafax

"H . Gehrke-Tschudi" wrote:
> I play with the idea to get one of those modems
> which have a telefon answering maschine, and stand alone ability like the
> '56.6k, extern, US-Robotiks Message Pro, V 90'
> or 56.6k, extern 'ELSA MicroLink[tm]Office, V90'.
>
> Is there any chance to get one of those two to work with Hylafax?
Sure. The problem is that hylafax has to be up to receive a fax through
it.

I own a Microlink Office. The modem stores an incoming fax in a
proprietary format inside its flash rom when DTR/RTS is inactive. You
can then download the file from the modem onto your HD but it's
definitly not TIFF. I haven't had time to take a closer look.
I must admit that from time to time there is nearly no way round
windows. But if somebody has time to set a few scripts to manage my
modem without windows I even would be glad to stick to linux.

I have no idea what the USR modem is like. Like David mentioned USR
modems are a bit tricky (I also own a sportster 28.800). But the
Microlink supports fax classes 0, 1, 1.0, 2, 2.0, 2.1, 8, 8.0
(at+fclass=?).
On the other side I must admit that also the Elsa modem has some
problems with certain older fax machines when running in standalone
mode.

I heard about other standalone modems which simulate calls to transmit
their data to the computer but I'm afraid they're a bit more expensive.

uwe