Re: multiple comment lines -- what happened!!!!???

Hi Alan,

At 05:01 PM 6/23/99 -0700, Alan Sparks wrote:
>In 4.0pl1, there was code to break long comment lines apart, and create
>commentX defs in the faxcover.  This code is apparently /gone/ in pl2.

No it was still present in 4.0pl2, but not in the latest beta releases.

The previous code did not handle newline characters very well and had
problems calculating where to break lines as it did not use the font metric
information.

>Just learned about it, since users are calling me asking where the comments
>went. *-/

oh...

There is some replacement code, have a look in the faxcover.ps file
included with he distribution - the BreakIntoLines function can be cut and
pasted into your personal faxcover.

ie include something like the following in your faxcover:

/rule (_______________________________) def
/y 189 def /x 141.336 def
y -29 73 { x exch M rule S } for
rule stringwidth pop 29 x y comments BreakIntoLines

The CommentX compatibility stuff has not been done yet, probaly via a
BreakIntoCommentsX function...that is one reason why the software is still
'beta'.

>Why is this code gone!?  Why is the facility still documented in the
>faxcover manpage when there's no code to back it up?

The documentation has not being changed because eventually most of the
functionality will be restored.

- Robert