FTP to server, "quote jobfmt ..." bugs?

Greetings:

I began with v4.0pl2 source code hacked by a colleague to compile on RH5.2
but then installed hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5.i386.rpm.  Got same type of problem,
but not exactly the same error code.

I connect by ftp to the server and attempt to run "quote jobfmt" comands.  A
command like "quote jobfmt %D" works, but I have been able to get a more
complicated string to work like say "quote jobfmt %D %C".  This reports an
error like " '':Syntax error, expecting command token."   I have tried
various ways of putting the format string in quotations, but nothing seems
to take.  Is this a bug?  Any suggestions?

Thanks for all assistance.

Jonathan