Re: Hylafax

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 10:05:41PM +0000, Michael Kremliovsky wrote:
>     Yes, I just did (you can see my problems in archive
> during last week). There are 4 rules for RH 5.2 users:
>   0) ask yourself what do you want: outbound (faxing out), inbound
>      (faxing in) or both; what type of client access (remember:
>      HylaFAX is a client/server application);

Indeed.  In any case, though, always use faxgetty, even for outbound
only systems.  I Tell You Three Times.

>   1) get a decent modem (look for a list of recommended ones), good
>      modem costs somewhere between $200 and $300; don't trust
>      marketing campaigns - they usually lie;

I just installed a MT5634ZDX yesterday on a RH5.2/HF4.2pl5-3.rpm
system; only two problems: take the '@' out of the dial string in the
config.ttyS1 file, and add M0L0; there's apparently a bug in the 4.16
firmware (ATI3) that makes the speaker stay on unless you say L0 in
addition to M0.  Other than that, it works great, and kudos to the
MultiTech technical support people who (!) have Linux and Hylafax
knowledge.

>   2) upgrade ghostscript to 5.10 (rpms are available at the same
>      spot where you find HylaFAX rpms);

5.50 is usable, as well; you need to install the two fonts rpm's with
--nodeps, someone made them with a circular dependency to the binaries.

Also, GS wants libjpeg.so.6.  /usr/lib/libjpeg.so.62 is the same
library, just make a copy.

>   3) make sure that neither /dev/modem nor /dev/cua<N> appear
>      during installation, use strictly /dev/ttyS0 (COM1) or
>      /dev/ttyS2 (COM2) /or whatever your com port is/

That's ttyS1, but he's right; do use ttyS whatever, and use it _for
everything on your system that talks to that port: minicom, pppd,
etc...

>   4) follow docs for running faxsetup, faxmodem, faxaddmodem.

You don't need to run faxmodem if you run faxaddmodem.

> And you can be sure - it is working very well... once setup done :)

Indeed.  I'm working on a filter for lp that can take print jobs with
embedded fax numbers and Do The Right Thing; more when it works.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592