Red Hat v6.0 and Hylafax

I am new to linux.  I am running v6.0 and would like to install hylafax.  I
have the modems configured and tested using setserial and minicom.  I
downloaded an rpm from the redhat site and installed it.  Everything seemed
to go ok.  When I try to run sendfax I get the following message:

460 Failed to submit job 1:  Unable to open scheduler FIFO: Device not
configured.

The fifo files do exist.  The problem appears to be with faxd and hfaxd.
These processes are not running.  When I try to start faxd it tails me it
failed.  I saw some related postings in the archives but none offered any
solutions.

Thanks for any support you can provide.

Mark