Re: any chance for using ISDN ?

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 06:43:37PM +0200, Andreas Busse wrote:
> I haven't found anything in FAQs, so this is probably not
> a frequently asked question (why actually... ? ):

Because you didn't look far enough?  :-)

This is in the mailing list archive, actually, from about 3 weeks ago,
or so...

> Are there any plans, or is there any chance to run
> Hylafax with some kind of ISDN hardware? I would even
> be happy with using a couple of internal ISDN terminal
> adapters that emulate 2.0 fax modems...

The only ISDN hardware I'm personally aware of that can do this is the
USR Courier I-Modem.  The problem is that you acutally need a _modem_
to do this, and almost everything on the market that is _called_ an
"ISDN modem" is _not_; it's actually merely a "terminal adapter".

The other side of the problem is that HF is only configured to speak
"AT over serial"; some ISDN PRI boards might be usable (Gammalink,
Dialogic, NMS), but they don't have drivers to make them look like
serial ports.

Some good might come of the Open Telecom project in this vein; check
out www.opentelecom.org, as well as www.linuxtelephony.org; letting the
implementors know what we need might be helpful...

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592