Re: Hylafax Implementation

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 12:54:35PM +1000, pof@interfusion.net.au wrote:
> I am looking at setting up Hylafax for the company I work for.  The
> server will be a Pentium 300 machine with 128 meg of ram running
> Redhat Linux 5.2.  I intend using three internal class 2 fax
> modems.
>
> There will be approx. 100 clients using Windows 95/98 and WHFC.
>  The system will receive about 150 incoming faxes per day
> (average 500 pages per day) and send about 60 faxes per day
> (average 250 pages).
>
> I was wanting advice on whether my intentions are reasonable with
> Hylafax, and I was also after some recommendations on good
> internal PCI class 2 fax/modems that would be available in
> Australia.

I can't imagine HF having trouble with that sort of load.

You might want to consider a Pentium-133 with 32Mb of RAM, but other
than that... :-)

I would, however, suggest _external_ modems.  You _really_ don't want
to have to bounce the entire server when a modem locks up.  The
MultiTech 2834ZDX has a pretty decent rep, and I believe is available
for Oz.

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592