RE: help on configuring to receive faxes

Hi,
Imagine the folowing Situation:
you have an old 14400bps Modem which you use to conect to your ISP and to do Faxes,
know you purchase a new CableModem to get faster internet-connections, but you want
to continue to use the old modem for faxing.
So you attach the new modem to another serial device, reconfigure your ISP-Software,
It adjusts your link /dev/modem to point to the new device and you wonder why you don't
get any faxes anymore.....
This is one kind of problems produced by using links to real devices like /dev/modem,
asside locking problems with two programs acessing the same device trough
different links.
I had both problems a few month ago, and it took me 3 or 4 days to find out what was
wrong and to find all those misconfigurations and to eliminate them.
Christoph Scheeder