RH6.0 Walkthrough and Suggestion

There is a library that is needed if you are installing Hylafax on RH5.x
or higher.  It might be nice to put a link in the binary directory to
this file.  The first is for RH6.0 the second for RH5.x.

ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/redhat-6.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/libjpeg6a-6a-
4.i386.rpm
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/rawhide/1.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/libjpeg6a-6a-4.i386
.rpm

I finally got Hylafax installed on RedHat 6.0.

Since I could not find much info on how to do it, here is how I did it.

In addition to one of the files above, I downloaded
"hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5.i386.rpm"  from
ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/hylafax/binary/linux/rpms/i386/

Install "libjpeg6a-6a-4.i386.rpm" first by typing:
"rpm -i --nodeps libjpeg6a-6a-4.i386.rpm"

Now install "hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5.i386.rpm" by typing:
"rpm -i --nodeps hylafax-4.0pl2-3rh5.i386.rpm"

Run "faxsetup" there is very good documentation for this online and in
the man pages.  Faxsetup will usually run "faxaddmomen" and "faxmodem
<modemID>" for you.  I found that running back through faxsetup and then
running faxaddmodem and faxmodem <modemID> manually would fix any
problems I was experiencing.  Seems to hang the modem the first time
through or something.

BTW, I am using a Hayes 14.4 ext modem and had zero problems.  I also
tried a US robotics class 2.0 modem and had more problems, but I was
able to get it to send faxes.  I recommend the 14.4's because everyone
can round up about 5 of these modems for about $20 for all 5 and they
work as well if not better than that 56K screamer.  Remember, faxes only
transmit at 14.4 on most faxmachines.