Re: getty questions

At 12:57 11/05/99 -0400, Dave Wreski <dave@nic.com> wrote:

>> Matthew Rice, in his Linux installation notes for v4.0pl1, suggested the
>> following string for the GettyArgs config parameter :-
>>                          ^^^^^^^^^
>> "-h %I F%S"
>
>Is this for use with getty_ps or another getty?

Well, up to yesterday I believed that /sbin/getty (from the getty_ps rpm
package) would have been fine.

>I think the problem is actually getty itself, unless I don't understand
>something.  It appears a special version of getty is required that can
>work with serial ports, and not just for terminals.

An awful lot of terminals are directly connected to serial ports; and anyway
that's what you want, isn't it, to enable an user to login though the modem
dial-up line? However, there is sufficient doubt to wonder that I am hindering
rather than helping here.

>> >If I have faxgetty in inittab, why is another getty necessary?
>>
>> Not in the inittab, it definitely isn't.
>
>Hmm... Not sure I understand.  Do you mean I shouldn't have faxgetty set
>up in inittab?

No; you should have faxgetty set up in inittab. You just shouldn't have any
other getty in inittab on the same port.

Okay?
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.