Re: getty questions

On 11-May-99 Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 10:52:38AM -0400, Dave Wreski wrote:
>> Hi all.  I'm using hylafax-4.0pl2 RPM on RH 5.2 with a USR sportster 33.6,
>> and getty_ps-2.0.7j, I believe. I'm not having problems with the
>> sportster, I don't think, but am having problems with getty.
>
> The start of a good bug report.  :-)

Why thank you ;)  It's always more productive, and helps the user having the
difficulties as well...

>> Outgoing faxes seem to work ok, but incoming faxes make the connection,
>> spawn getty from faxgetty, but then never hand off to the hylafax process.
>> If I have faxgetty in inittab, why is another getty necessary?
>
> This is the item, right here.  If you're running faxgetty in the
> inittab (you should be), and you're +not+ also running gettyps _from
> the inittab_ (you shouldn't be), then faxgetty shouldn't ever hand the
> call off to gettyps if it's a fax call.

Yes, I am running faxgetty in inittab, and don't plan on having any data calls
at all, where I might need getty_ps.

> If it is, it's likely that faxgetty is misconfigured.  This is called
> "adaptive answer", and you do it different ways in different classes.

It seems that section deals primairily with class 1 type fax modems, where I've
configured the USR to do class 2.0.  There's nothing in the modem documentation
regarding fax commands at all.  Can I substitute the "AT+FCLASS=1;A" with
FCLASS=2 for the ModemAnswerCmd parameter?

If I disable adaptive answer entirely, will it always assume an incoming fax?

Thanks again,
Dave