Re: getty questions

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 10:52:38AM -0400, Dave Wreski wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm using hylafax-4.0pl2 RPM on RH 5.2 with a USR sportster 33.6,
> and getty_ps-2.0.7j, I believe. I'm not having problems with the
> sportster, I don't think, but am having problems with getty.

The start of a good bug report.  :-)

(BTW: apologies to all; I cleared out my mail archives just after
sending the bug report template I'd ginned up to Darren, and I've been
too damned crammed to get it posted.  This week, for sure.  :-)

> Outgoing faxes seem to work ok, but incoming faxes make the connection,
> spawn getty from faxgetty, but then never hand off to the hylafax process.
> If I have faxgetty in inittab, why is another getty necessary?

This is the item, right here.  If you're running faxgetty in the
inittab (you should be), and you're +not+ also running gettyps _from
the inittab_ (you shouldn't be), then faxgetty shouldn't ever hand the
call off to gettyps if it's a fax call.

If it is, it's likely that faxgetty is misconfigured.  This is called
"adaptive answer", and you do it different ways in different classes.

Take a look at the adaptive answer section of the docs, and see if that
helps you any...

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.
The Suncoast Freenet            Give them to all your friends.
Tampa Bay, Florida     http://www.ccil.org/jargon/             +1 813 790 7592