How to get Motorola 28.8 to answer both fax and data

I have a Motorola 28.8 3400 which I am attempting to use to receive both fax
and data calls.  So far, I cannot get it to start a getty for a data call; it
does not seem to recognise that a call is data.  The modem does send
`DATA' at the appropriate time, if I monitor it with cu, but I don't see
this in the Hylafax log.

I am currently using the moto-288 config (as set up by faxaddmodem).

Does anyone have this set-up working?  Could you please mail me your
config?

Version: Hylafax 4.0.2

     "These things have I written unto you that believe on
      the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye
      have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name
      of the Son of God."        I John 5:13