Re: Seeking help.

>      I was able to send fax using HylaFax 4.0 (redhat 5.0, USR 56k modem).
>      However, after sending modem, the modem status becomes
>      "Waiting for modem to become ready"

I believe this is the idle state when there is no faxgetty to re-initialise
the modem.  I think you will find that all the regular repliers do use
faxgetty and it is the reccommended configuration, so they won't generally
be familiar with the behaviour when it is not used.  I vaguely remember
mention of running a program to initially inform the scheduler that the
modem is free.

>      The log shows that 1D MR rather than 2D MR was used, how do I make it
>      use 2D MR?

Possible causes are:

- the remote fax machine is so old that it doesn't support 2D;

- you have modified the configuration to force 1D (I'd have to read the
  manual to find out if and where this is configurable);

- they have forced 1D because Wang/Eastman imaging appears not to support
  2D, or similar reasons.

The session log will tell you whether the local or remote end is forcing
1D.

>      What difference does it make by using faxgetty? It is not used
>      currently on my system.

See above.

Following is not about Hylafax.

is authorised to receive the message.  Misuse in this way could seriously
devalue it in a court of law, I suspect.

This causes my mail program to try to start a Japanese viewer, which
I don't have installed.  In general, you can't rely on unknown
character sets being compatible with ASCII so a properly character set
aware mail program could reasonably refuse to accept this - GUI ones, in
the US and Western Europe, tend to ignore character set and assume that
everything is Windows CP 1252.  I assume that this is a shifted, not
8 bit Japanese, otherwise the 7bit encoding is incompatible.