Re: Hylafax

Alan Sparks wrote:

> From: Mike Causer <mikec@dial.drakken.com>
>
> >Michael Ruiz wrote:
> >>
> >> Is there any gui software that one can use to manage Hylafax?  Also, are
> >> there any applications to display stats about Hylafax in a graphical
> >> format, e.g. charts and graphs?  I would like to display average wait
> >> time for types of faxes sent, longest wait time, etc.
> >
> >Take a look at MRTG
> (http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/mrtg.html)
> >it can graph any data you feed it, and is easily customisable.
>
> Hmmm... MRTG is cool, I use it... but it is intended for monitoring
> SNMP-aware devices and software.

Right, but it accepts any data, and displays labels according to the HTML
template you have to give it.  There would have to be some way to extract
the data from Hylafax and reformat it for MRTG, so there's some Perl hacking
to do, but the basic functions are all there.   The SNMP-aware part is an
external Perl (?) program.  (It might be 'rateup', but I forget the details.)

My current network only has two machines, so I don't look at the traffic
althought I do have MRTG (in fact one of them is an old Sun 3/60 and is
rarely turned on).  It might be an interesting exercise to get this working
(but don't hold your breath waiting for it Michael).

Mike