flexfax/tiff build problem Solaris 2.6

Hello All,

Ok, I am not a programmer type... but sometimes I try!

I am trying to build and install hylafax v4.0pl2
under Solaris 2.6 (SunOS 5.6).

I have built and installed tiff v3.4 in the default location
and that seems to work..

Running configure for hylafax errors out checking for tiff
lib support. (error output from configure is between the **'s)

**

Checking TIFF support.

Incompatible/missing TIFF Library.

Compilation or execution of the following test program failed:

#include "tiffio.h"
main()
{
    if (TIFFLIB_VERSION < 19960307) {     /* check include file version */
        printf("old include files: version %u\n", TIFFLIB_VERSION);
        exit(-1);
    }
    if (strncmp(TIFFGetVersion(), "LIBTIFF, Version 3.4", 20) != 0) {
        printf("old library: version %s\n", TIFFGetVersion());
        exit(-1);
    } else
        exit(0);
}

With:

TIFFINC=/usr/local/include
LIBTIFF=-L/usr/local/lib -ltiff

The above program checks the version of the TIFF library to ensure it
is suitable for use with HylaFAX.  HylaFAX v4.0pl2 requires a recent
TIFF software distribution; one distributed March 7, 1996 or later.  If
you do not have up to date TIFF software on your system then you can
retrieve it from the location where you obtained this software.
Otherwise, if you have the right software, verify that you have the
TIFFINC and LIBTIFF configuration parameters set correctly for your
system (see above) and that any environment variables are setup that
are needed to locate a libtiff DSO at runtime (e.g. LD_LIBRARY_PATH).
Also be sure that any relative pathnames are made relative to the top
of the build area.

Unrecoverable error!  Once you've corrected the problem rerun this script.

**

I have LD_LIBRARY_PATH set in my environment and the tiff
lib's are installed in the listed path.

As I tried checking the path's and all looked good,
I tried to compile just the offending chunk of code
that is lised above (Using gcc 2.8.1). The compiler error
output was:

TIFFGetVersion                      /var/tmp/ccmkVZ8_1.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out

any ideas?

TIA,

dan

--
Dan Sweet                                             Tel 503-653-0574
Crescendo Research Group                              Fax 503-659-3579