Re: EOP trouble

This is quite possible. Following this thread my conclusion would be
that it would really pay off to investigate this problem thouroughly.
Many people confirm that they have seen these problems. What I think
is most important is the fact that __not__ all of these people have
3Com/USR fax modems. That this make is most often mentioned may be
due to faulty firmware in the past, but also due to the fact that
they sell so well.

My conclusion would be that a workaround for connections to fax machines
that hang up without doing the final handshake properly, would be most
welcome. Those machines exist, unfortunately, and while it might be
correct, that actually the problems are caused by them, and not by
Hylafax, tha software should be enabled in a future release to handle
connections with these machines in a more user friendly way.

So, I really hope that some of the developers (maybe Sam Leffler himself?)
could be convinced to do something, here. A solution would be much
appreciated, not only by me, as this thread shows.

Just to bear this in mind: As far as I can tell the problem only occurs
with old (paper) fax machines. So far I haven't seen it in connections with
fax modems and new fax machines.

Can others confirm this? I think this might be the starting point in
analysis of the problem. What is the difference between older fax machines
and fax modems? Is it really a protocol problem in these old devices?
And why can they connect to other fax machines without any problem, then?
Are fax machines more tolerant against faulty protocol implementations than
Hylafax is?

Regards
	Peter

On Sun, Feb 07, 1999 at 07:49:22PM +0000, David Woolley wrote:

> > This is an area in which the protocol handling could be improved, and has=
> >
> > been reported before (e.g., RE: flexfax: End Of Page error (EOP), =
> >
> > steven@object-net.com, about 27 Oct 1998).  I see it, too, all to often.
>
> I wonder if some of the Retrain Negative problems are really this one.
>
> I've noticed some cases recently where Hylafax is inferring RTN from a
> non-commital ERROR response from the modem, after EOP.

	  The manual said the software required Windows 95
	  	   or better, so I installed Linux.