Getty repeating too quickly

I'm not subscribed to the list, so please respond to me directly...

I've had HylaFAX running on a Dell PII200 for over a year, now.
The 36 modems (Zyxel 1496) are connected via a Cyclades Cyclom
Y series PCI.
Recently, I started getting the error "getty repeating too quickly on
port /dev/cuac00". Nothing has changed on the system, but I'm
pulling my hair out trying to find the cause. I built a new system on
a AMD K6/200 for the time being, but that's not quite fast enough
for the amount of faxes coming in (now I get SILO errors all over).
I even rebuilt the Dell with FreeBSD 2.2.8, but I still get the error
message, with only one port enabled?!?!

Any help would be appreciated.

-- jb

   J.B. LaRue / Sys Admin