How to install "admin" user ?

Hi !

Running HylaFax v4.0pl2 under Linux  with a class 2 modem and trying to
solve
the following problem:

I would like to run clients like NT 4.0, but therefore I have to ADD a
USER to
hylafax access control list. I thought this could be possible if I for
example telnet the
server. I get the connection to the server but I can't add a user or
better said I can not
login as a user, because there is perhaps non installed.
I also tried to change the "/etc/hosts" file, but the error stays.
(550: Cannot set privileges, also in the telnet session (logged in as
"root" on the linux-machine))

What did I do wrong ?

Thank you for your help,
  Conny