Re: Receiving fax only

Dirk Traenapp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> -> As some fax senders, in particular our new "paper" fax that I want to
> -> use to verify that the setup works, seem to get confused by the call
> -> type detection/adaptive answer mechanisms of HylaFAX (Version 4.0pl1), I
> -> want to configure it to answer fax messages only. Can anyone explain how
> -> to do this? I have tried setting AdaptiveAnswer to "no" and
> -> "AnswerRotary" to "fax" only, but it didn't help, judging from the sound
> -> of things. - When trying to call the fax number using a regular
> -> telephone one can hear a lot of noise before the normal fax interaction
> -> appears to start. In other words, the modem starts sounding like a fax
> -> only after tried to send some other kind of data for a while.
>
> We also had that problem! I tried several variations and it works
> with the following:
This was really helpful. Thanks.

> AnswerRotary:           "fax"
> AdaptiveAnswer: yes
>
> -> # Answer Fax by default
> -> ModemAnswerCmd: AT+FCLASS=1;A
> ModemAnswerCmd: AT+FCLASS=2;A
This didn't quite work here. I had to change it to AT+FCLASS=2.0;ATA
>                           ^
>                           What ever that means?!?
Well, there are two different versions of the fax standard, known as
"class 1" and "class 2.0". The above command simply puts the modem in
class 2.0 mode. This seems to be important for correct transmission from
our fax machine, although the difference from the default behaviour is
not audible.

> Maybe you should change:
>
> ModemSetupAACmd:        AT+FAA=1

> ModemSetupAACmd:        AT+FAA=0
Now, this did the real trick. The modem immediately started "sounding
like a fax machine" when I made this modification. I think it is far
from obvious from the manuals that this needs to be changed. You'd think
that "Adaptive Answer: no" had the same effect, but apparently not.

Cheers,

Toralf