Re: HylaFAX: faxq hfaxd (without old protocol & SNPP).?

In message <36a02da3.3493917@mail.detel.com>, Ed Weinberg writes:
>I installed the latest HylaFax RPM in Red Hat Linux 5.2.
>I have most of HylaFax working.  Just need to clean up a few bugs.
>
>One of them...
>
>Wondering why I got the message when it started?
>HylaFAX: faxq hfaxd (without old protocol & SNPP).
>
>Does Hyla not support SNPP anymore?

Gack - I should really read all my mail before replying - glad to hear you have the RPM installed happily.

The RPM supports SNPP just fine. It's just that the default SysV init script does NOT enable the SNPP and "old" protocol by default, for security reasons.

Feel free to override these cautious defaults - bear in mind however that the old protocol is fundamentally insecure and may allow anyone to send faxes using your modems.

-Darren