sendfax knocks over perl script

Hiya

Whenever my perl scrip comes to this exec statement, it falls over and
exits (but does _successfully_ send the fax according to the contents of
the variables) -->

  exec "sendfax $server -R -n -d $faxno ./temp/$faxno.tmp >/dev/null";

that vain attempt to supress output, you kow the "job no xxx submitted on
host xxx" and let the script continue is the >/dev/null.

Any ideas how I may suppress the job confirmation statement, if this is
really what causes the script to fail when it `execs' sendfax.

TIA

from a committed hylafax believer
--
Eric Smith (eric@nafex.com)