typerules man page error: operators only for numbers

As the result of an off list reply to my pointer to reading the typerules
man page for the handling of (presumed) ISO 8859/1 text, I've become
aware that the typerules man page is wrong.

It says that x always matches anything, whereas the code only recognizes
operators for types other than ascii and string, i.e. numeric types.
Anything in the match field for string is actually taken literally,
give or take any quoting of spaces (if it supports this), and is don't
care for ascii.

I also note that the definition of ascii is based on the character class
test isprintable, and is probably locale dependent, although changing the
locale, from C, may well break Hylafax and other programs.  (To what extent
is hylafax locale safe; I know that it is not locale safe with regard to
decimal point characters.)