Re: Faxmodems that buffer

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999, Bavo De Ridder wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know their exist faxmodems that will hold faxes when the computer is
> offline. These faxmodems have a buffer to hold about 10 faxes.

  I don't know of any fax modems that do this.  I know of external devices
that do this though.  They site between the modem and the phone line, and
if the phone does not get answered, the device answeres and performs a
minimal fax handshake and records the sent fax.  When the modem is
available, the device rings the modem, the modem answers thinking it is a
new call, and the device plays the fax back to it.

> My questions is now: does hylafax works with this kind of faxmodems and if
> yes, what faxmodems are recommended (that is: wich faxmodems do actually
> work with hylafax)...

  Well, if a fax modem had built in offline buffering, I would think it
would be very similar.  The modem would fake an inbound call (bring DCD
up, and issue a connect string to the attached computer), and replay a
stored fax.

> Or can anyone point me to some internet resources where I can get more
> information about this. I have no experience whatsoever with faxmodems, so
> please excuse me of the above questions sound silly.
>

> Bavo De Ridder

Tom
Systems Support
Uniserve