Re: Waiting for modem to come ready?

At 16:12 08/01/99 +0000, Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt@acu.ac.uk> wrote:
>{snip]
>On coming back to the system a couple of days later, I find I'm unable
>to send faxes - the status display in Whfc, and faxstat both report that
>Hylafax is waitting for the modem on ttyS0 to come ready.
>
>If I stop the Hylafax processes, and use "cu -l /dev/ttyS0", I can
>connect to the modem and issue AT commands without any problems. I've
>tried power cycling the modem, and restarting the Hylafax software, but
>to no avail. I don't know why it has gone like this, from a working
>configuration, and I can't ifnd a way to stop it. Any help would be much
>appreciated...
>[snip-ola!]

Two thoughts spring to mind :

1. You are using faxgetty? Recommended even if you are using HylaFAX in
   a send-out environment.

Assuming you are, next to think about :-

2. There is a lock file floating about that shouldn't be there. Have a
   look in the directory /var/locks for a LCK..ttyS0 file.

3. If you are using the modem for data use as well, ensure the other
   application is using the same lock name (none of this /dev/modem
   stuff).

Ooops! That's three.

4. It could be something to do with interference if you have other
   devices using COM3 (wild guess - this could be a red herring).

5. If no progress then increase your debug level to include the
   chat script between HylaFAX and your modem. Set ServerTracing and
   SessionTracing to 0x0f (check the man config(4F)) and set both values
   also in the *modem* config file /var/spool/fax/config.ttyS0 and
   restart your syslogd(?). Then check the syslogd logs to see what's
   happening. Possibilities of an error due to bad handshaking setup
   between host, the bit of cable and the modem.

Right, that's four things - no, five things which may help.

Have a good weekend,
Phil Watkinson,
Boston, UK.

"I think I've got the hang of it now .... :w :q :wq :wq!  ^d  X  exit  X   Q
:quitbye CtrlAltDel  ~~q :~q logout save/quit :!QUIT ^[zz  ^[ZZ ZZZZ ^H ^@ ^L
^[c ^# ^E ^X ^I ^T ? help helpquit ^D^d ^C ^c help exit ?Quit ?q" (Ed Wright)