Waiting for modem to come ready?

I've recently installed Hylafax on an i386 based system running RedHat
Linux 5.1. The software was installed from rpm, and I have configured it
as described using faxsetup and faxaddmodem. The Modem in use is a USR
Courier V.everything, which supports class 2.0 fax capabilities.

After installation, and configuring the modem, I was succesfully able to
send a fax from a Windows workstation using the Whfc Hylafax client.
There were no problems with this at all.

On coming back to the system a couple of days later, I find I'm unable
to send faxes - the status display in Whfc, and faxstat both report that
Hylafax is waitting for the modem on ttyS0 to come ready.

If I stop the Hylafax processes, and use "cu -l /dev/ttyS0", I can
connect to the modem and issue AT commands without any problems. I've
tried power cycling the modem, and restarting the Hylafax software, but
to no avail. I don't know why it has gone like this, from a working
configuration, and I can't ifnd a way to stop it. Any help would be much
appreciated...

Thanks,

Mike.