Re: questions on HylaFax

Hi,

At 04:53 PM 1/6/99 -0800, Michael Sorens wrote:
>I am interested in your HylaFax software, but just a couple questions:
>
>What I want to do is just this:
>(1) Receive incoming faxes on a Sun/Unix workstation; I note your site
>says these will be stored as TIFF/F.

There are also utilities to convert incoming faxes to postscript.

>(2) Convert FAX to text (via OCR software...?)

This is very difficult to get working reliably, the incoming fax's
resolutionis relatively poor even the best ocr software will probaly have
trouble.

>(3) Convert FAX to GIF or PDF.

Both of these are possible as well as postscript

>(4) Send email to a specific group of users that the fax has been
>received
>and is available in either text or GIF.

Customise the faxrcvd script which is called after each fax receive.  In
this script you can also convert the tiff/f file to a different format if
you wish.

>Do you have any pointers to Unix OCR software?

No sorry, ask on the flexfax list(see the web site 'Mailing Lists')

>Do you have any pointers to a graphic converter that could handle TIFF/F
>format?

The tiff library used wth hylafax has many converters, look at what is
included there.

>(Failing that, your pointers to tiffview for Windows and viewfax for
>Unix should suffice.)

The standard tiff viewer included with windows nt works ok.

>Can HylaFax send email as in (4) above?

Yes.

>Finally, is there a version of HylaFax that runs on Windows rather than
>Unix?

The server not yet, there is client software available, the main windows
client used is whfc.

>I'm looking for an EASY way to cut down on hard copy of frequent
>multi-page faxes that we receive, and then distribute by making many
>paper copies... it looks like your package will do the trick.

Yes i think so too.  Subscribe to the hylafax mailing list, there are alot
of people there that can help you out :-)

- Robert