Re: Which modem?

James Thompson wrote:

> I'm interested in setting up a fax server using hylafax.  I couldn't find
> a list archive so I guess I'll just ask.  I've looked over the modem list
> but haven't had much luck finding a good, fairly inexpensive modem.
>
> What I'm trying to do is setup a Linux server with a single modem that
> will act as an ipmasq server and a fax server with the modem serving both
> purposes.  So I guess I'd need 56K Data and Class 2 modem support,
> external?
>
> Does anyone have any sugestions?

Well, I can suggest that you do NOT use US RObotics, which gave me no
end of problems with Hylafax; the MultiTech modem works like a dream,
but was very pricey ($280 US).

You're going to do IP masq and faxing on a single modem (I hope not for
an office!)

If you're using it for personal use, I guess the US Robotics might be
OK, it was recieving about about 75-100 faxes a day here and was a
constant headache (having to reset it continually, rejecting faxes,
other weird things).

Does anyone know of any good cheap modems?

--
Tim Kelley
tpkelley@winkinc.com