Computone problem with HylaFAX

To the list:

I have some additional information about the problem I'm having
getting a MultiTech MT2834ZDXb modem on a Computone ISA-4RJ port
(see previous post) to work with HylaFAX v4.0PL2 on SCO
OpenServer 5.0.5.

I talked with Computone technical support who seemed to think the
problem was in the modem settings.  First we reconfigured the
Computone port using "mkdev fip" so that logins were disabled on
this modem port and the baud rate was set to 9600.  HylaFAX
"faxaddmodem" still couldn't probe the modem for the best
transmission rate.

We then set the "$BA1" parameter on the modem and saved it.
Same result.  However, we then set the parameter back to
"$BA0", set "$MB9600" and "SSB9600", saved to memory, and,
lo and behold, it worked!  HylaFAX found the modem and
proceeded with the setup.  However, I needed to be able to
replicate this behavior in the future, so I recorded all the
modem settings at that point in the setup.  I then interrupted
the setup and reset the modem to factory defaults.  I then
replicated the modem's settings exactly as they were when
things worked and attempted "faxaddmodem" again.  This time
it failed, and I have yet to be able to get it to work again.

Does anyone have any insights?

Any help would be much appreciated.  I'd be willing to pay
and/or trade a fairly extensive HylaFAX cover page I wrote
in PostScript.

Thanks,

Chen Coulter
software_sourcery@bigfoot.com