Re: permissions nightmare

> Hi, I installed HylaFax v4.0pl2-1 on a Slackware 3.5, Linux 2.0.36
> x86 system, from the package hylafax-i386-linux-v4.0pl2-1.tar.gz.  I'm
> using a USR 28.8 Ext. Sportster Vi.  I unpacked the files, and ran
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not immediately relevant, but you must read the Sportster firmware bugs
pages.

> faxsetup and faxaddmodem with no problems.
>
> The /var/spool/fax directory wasn't readable to faxgetty, although
> faxgetty was owned by root.root.  Faxgetty only seems to run if
                        ^^^^^^^^^
It's not set user, so this is irrelevant.

The fresh Hylafax install is in the office, but the obvious problem would
be not having the right things owned by uucp (NB fax must be an alias for
uucp).

> /var/spool/fax and recvq has 777 permissions.
>
> These errors turn up in my sysog, I don't know what they mean:
>
> Nov 25 15:43:30 kearneys FaxGetty[4028]: Failed to find free commid
> (seqnum=9)

2 minutes grep and less on the source code shows that it had an open
failure for every filename it tried for a session log - probably the
permissions problem.

> Nov 25 15:47:46 kearneys FaxGetty[4028]: CAUGHT SIGNAL 15

Basic *nix:  you killed it.

> When a data call comes in, getty segfaults.  I tried symlinking getty

Stack back trace, or at least the output from strace?

> to mgetty, but couldn't get mgetty not to reset the modem (thus dropping
> the connection).

Debug on a standard getty.  Continue to use the standard getty unless you
need the auto PPP functions of mgetty; hylafax is taking over most of the
other functions.